Now that spring is here, a spring HVAC checklist is the perfect way to get your home ready for warmer temperatures. With a bit of spring cleaning and preparation, you can improve your cooling system’s energy efficiency and help lower the risk of costly breakdowns.
Here is your spring HVAC checklist:
- Change your air filters. This is something that you should do regularly, find a step-by-step guide here. Dirty filters restrict airflow, causing your cooling system to work harder than necessary and decreasing its energy efficiency.
- Clean floor registers or ceiling air vents. Just think about all the dust, pet hair, and other debris that might be hiding out. Wipe down with warm, soapy water, and dry before reinstalling.
- Dust and wash the blades on your ceiling fans. Learn how to do it without making a mess.
- Clean the exhaust hood and the duct over the oven to allow for proper ventilation. Here’s a how-to from Epicurious.
- Consider installing an air purfier. Air purifiers remove allergens, germs, and mold and deliver cleaner air for your whole home. Spring is the best time of year to consider an air purifier.
- Clean dirty windows. Dirty windows can host a variety of mold, allergens, and dust. Here are some tips.
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat. A smart thermostat can help you save money during peak seasons by automating your heating and cooling needs. Find out why you should make the switch.
- Clear the area around your air conditioner. Storms may have deposited pine needles, leaves, branches, dead grass or weeds next to or on top of your air conditioner. Inspect and clean your outdoor AC unit to make sure it has adequate airflow by clearing away any debris you find.
- Check the air conditioner drain line. As part of the cooling process, excess moisture is created by your air conditioner and drained outside your home through a line, which looks like a hose. Once you turn on the air conditioner and let it run for a while, look for water flowing slowly from the drain line. There shouldn’t be a lot of water, but if there isn’t anything, it could mean your line is clogged.
- Schedule an air conditioning tune-up. There’s only so much you can assess from the outside of your air conditioner. An air conditioning tune-up from a professional, trusted HVAC company includes a check of your refrigerant level as well as an inspection of your system’s critical electrical and mechanical components.
It’s much cheaper to get an AC tune-up now than to pay for an air conditioning repair in the heat of the summer, as that’s when poorly-maintained AC units tend to break down more often. Coolray CoolCare Agreement Customers should schedule their summer maintenance now. Not a member yet? Learn more about our maintenance agreements.
Coolray is your Atlanta-area home comfort expert, specializing in installation, repair, and service of heating and air conditioning systems. Check out our special promotions and offers here. If you have questions or need to schedule a service, we’d be happy to help – just contact us or schedule online!