The swelteringly hot Georgia summer days are upon us. And while there’s lots to enjoy in the summer, the heat is not one of them. Here are 3 ways to keep cool in your home--without sending your electric bill soaring through the roof.
- Lower your cooling bill
According to ENERGY STAR, cooling takes up about 17% of your yearly energy bill, and of course the majority of that comes in during the summer months. Here are some smart ways to reduce your energy bills.
- Master your thermostat - Set your thermostat at 75° to 78°F when you're home and 80°F when you're not. Don't turn it off before leaving the house because it costs more to cool the house back down than if you had just left it running at a higher temperature.
- Keep your A/C efficient - Air conditioners need an annual tune-up to run efficiently and keep your energy bills down.
- Know when to upgrade - According to Consumer Reports, if your central A/C is over 15 years old, it’s time to get a newer, more efficient model.
- Change your air filter periodically - A dirty air filter can impede airflow and cause your A/C to run longer than necessary, running up your utility bill.
- Manage moisture
The optimum level of humidity in a home during the summer is 50%, but the average humidity level in the Atlanta, Georgia area is 85%. So what do you do when “It’s not the heat, it’s the moisture!”?
- Invest in a dehumidifier (portable or whole-home) - These will suck the humidity out of the air.
- Move your indoor plants outside - Plants can produce a lot of airborne moisture.
- Use your bathroom exhaust fan - After you take a shower, keep your bathroom fan running for about 20 minutes to get rid of the excess moisture.
- Keep the heat out
It doesn't matter if you cool your home if heat keeps getting in. Here are some smart ways to keep it out:
Bonus: Harness the summer heat
Dry clothes outside- Skip the dryer! It’s the costliest part of doing laundry. By clotheslining your wet laundry, you can save about $130 a year.
Keep cool all summer
If you need help keeping your air conditioner running efficiently, contact Coolray online to get a tune-up today.