The swelteringly hot Georgia summer days are upon us. And while there’s lots to enjoy in the summer, the heat is not one of them. Here are 3 ways to keep cool in your home--without sending your electric bill soaring through the roof.
1) Lower your cooling bill
According to ENERGY STAR, cooling takes up about 17% of your yearly energy bill, and of course the majority of that comes in during the summer months. Here are some smart ways to reduce your energy bills.
- Master your thermostat - Set your thermostat at 75° to 78°F when you're home and 80°F when you're not. Don't turn it off before leaving the house because it costs more to cool the house back down than if you had just left it running at a higher temperature.
- Keep your A/C efficient - Air conditioners need an annual tune-up to run efficiently and keep your energy bills down.
- Know when to upgrade - According to Consumer Reports, if your central A/C is over 15 years old, it’s time to get a newer, more efficient model.
- Change your air filter periodically - A dirty air filter can impede airflow and cause your A/C to run longer than necessary, running up your utility bill.
2. Manage moisture
The optimum level of humidity in a home during the summer is 50%, but the average humidity level in the Atlanta, Georgia area is 85%. So what do you do when “It’s not the heat, it’s the moisture!”?
- Invest in a dehumidifier (portable or whole-home) - These will suck the humidity out of the air.
- Move your indoor plants outside - Plants can produce a lot of airborne moisture.
- Use your bathroom exhaust fan - After you take a shower, keep your bathroom fan running for about 20 minutes to get rid of the excess moisture.
3. Keep the heat out
It doesn't matter if you cool your home if heat keeps getting in. Here are some smart ways to keep it out:
Bonus: Harness the summer heat
Dry clothes outside- Skip the dryer! It’s the costliest part of doing laundry. By clotheslining your wet laundry, you can save about $130 a year.
Keep cool all summer
If you need help keeping your air conditioner running efficiently, contact Coolray online to get a tune-up today.